Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Help with a very simple program? Thanks!




Hi all,




I'm having a bit of a problem with a simple program I cooked up for practice. The code is below:






Java Code:






import java.util.Scanner;


public class CAPPLogin {

public static void main(String[] args) {
/* This program is designed to take two string inputs from the user simultaneously
* and check them against two preset string values. If the inputs match, the user
* will receive an "Access Granted" message. If one or both of the inputs do not
* match, the user will receive one of three self-written error messages (not an exception)
* that will each be output depending on the scenario.
*/


Scanner scan = new Scanner(System.in);
System.out.println("Thank you for activating CAPP Employee LogIn Launcher.");
System.out.print("Username: ");
String username = scan.nextLine();
System.out.print("Password: ");
String password = scan.nextLine();

if (username == "Employee1" && password == "bli33ard")// If both the username and password match the preset strings
{
System.out.println("Processing...");
System.out.println("Account recognized. Welcome Michael.");
}
else if(username != "Employee1")// If the username does not match the preset string
{
System.out.println("Processing...");
System.out.println("Error: Username not recognized.");
}
else if(password != "bli33ard")// If the password does not match the preset string
{
System.out.println("Processing...");
System.out.println("Error: Password not recognized.");

}
else if (username != "Employee1" && password != "bli33ard")// If both the username and password do not match the preset strings
{
System.out.println("Processing...");
System.out.println("The specified account does not exist.");
}


}

}




(Just so you know, I use Eclipse for my programs.)



Like I said, this program is just for practice and isn't intended for anything other than learning Java.



I am having no trouble at all running the program itself, there are no critical errors. It's just whenever I do run it, and input the correct "log-in info," it gives me the error message "Error: Username not recognized." This is odd, as I have checked the program itself and my input.



If it's a simple oversight, like it probably is, forgive me as I am quite new to Java.



Also, if anyone has feedback on how I could improve the program itself, that would be very much appreciated




No comments:

Post a Comment